Thursday, January 5, 2012

Chewy Breakfast (or anytime) Bars

Can I tell you how much my kids and husband LOVE these? The whole pan will be gobbled down in a single day. Of course, they may last longer for you if you don't have 5 growing kids and a growing husband to feed. I love that these are easy. I love that they are filling. I love that you can make it up as you go and add in whatever you want. I love that I know exactly what is in them unlike most of those boxed ones you buy at the store. Like most of the things I make, I kind of read a bunch of recipes and then make up my own! Here is what you will need:

*Pre heat your oven to 350 and grease a 9x13 pan
*In a large bowl, combine 2c oats, 1c flour, 1/2c wheat germ, 3/4c brown sugar, and 3 tsp cinnamon
*Now is where you get to decide what you want in your bars! This time I put in some coconut, slivered almonds, and mini chocolate chips. Next time I want to try some craisins or other fruit.

*Next, make a well in the center. This is where we will add the wet ingredients which include: 1 egg slightly beaten, 1/2c honey, 1/2 oil, and 2 tsp vanilla

*Mix until well combined. Honestly, using your hands works best!

*Press mixture into the 9x13 pan

*Bake for about 15 minutes, but keep a close eye on them. You want them to just be turning golden around the edges. If you overcook them, they will not keep their chewy consistency after they cool. I have a super, duper awesome oven from the 60s that cooks things super hot and super fast, so it takes just under 15 minutes.
*Let them cool completely and then turn them out and cut them into bars.

*Store in an airtight container. I wish I could tell you how long these last, but like I said, mine never last longer than a day! Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. fabulous!!! my kids love these bars...and they are so expensive! thanks!

    ReplyDelete