Thursday, November 11, 2010

Homemade Spanish Rice

When I can and have time, I like to make things from scratch. It tastes better, is better for you, and I just enjoy cooking for my family. This Spanish rice is SO good and it is not loaded with salt like the stuff that comes out of a box or bag (which is really tasty, too...believe me!). It is super easy to make although it does take a little time. But isn't anything good worth waiting for? I could make myself sick eating this stuff. Enjoy! Here is what you will need:
*In a big skillet heat about 2 tbsp of oil
*Once it is warm, add in 1 chopped onion and 1/2 chopped green pepper. If you like your rice chunky, then leave the pieces bigger. If you like your rice smoother, then cut the piece smaller. We like chunky!
*Saute the veggies for a minute or so and then add 1c of rice
*Saute the rice/veggie mixture until the rice is brown and the veggies are tender
*Add in 2c water, 1 can Rotel (drained), 2tbsp chili powder, and 1 tsp salt
*Stir well

*Reduce heat to medium, cover, and let rice simmer for about 25 minutes
*Stir occasionally
*You could eat this alone but we had ours tonight with cheese enchiladas and re fried beans!


3 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! I'm coming over for dinner :-p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! Now I'm hungry:)
    Thanks for visiting my blog! I'm returning the follow.
    www.hislittlemrs.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like the rice - have an easier one that uses Pace picante sauce, chicken broth, and instant rice for Mexican rice in about 15 min.

    ReplyDelete